About Me

My photo
"J'ecris pour me decouvrir."- a French writer

Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011, What a start!

Yesterday was new year's eve. My friend and I were spending the last moments in 2010 together talking and discussing our future plans for the new year. The clock ticked 12:00 AM, "Cheers!" I went to bed a few minutes later after watching the fireworks from my balcony.

I woke up the next morning feeling a little weird. I wasn't sure what it was, but the whole new year joy was missing. Once I stepped out of my room, my brother broke the news right away, saying "There was an explosion yesterday in front of a church." I could not believe my ears, and I thought that this might have happened elsewhere.

Unfortunately, it was in Alexandria. I logged into my Facebook account, and there it was all black. Bloody posts everywhere and my Christian and Muslim friends were grieving. It is a disaster, indeed. I was speechless and helpless at the same time. I did not know what to do or what to say.

At night, my friends and I had plans to attend an event. None of us was excited about it anymore. I called one of them to see if she was going to make it or not, she lives in the same area where the explosion took place. Her voice was full of anxiety and fear. She said she would not go out because police is everywhere. She also told me that she heard the sound of the explosion. It was a few block away.

That is when I thought that whoever did this did not only ruin Christian's joy and festivities, but a whole nation's joy, security and trust.

I am just praying like anyone else that this would stop for now. I hope that victims rest in peace and I hope that God grants their families, friends and beloveds strength and patience.

1 comment:

  1. The reality of the harshness in the world clearly is creating unrest and unease, yet you write "from the heart." ABC4All's Newsletter to and from ABC4All Mentors is called, "From The Heart." http://home.abc4all.net/resources/view/159901/?topic=44391

    Thanks for friendship on Facebook and we join you in working for PEACE and HARMONY for a better world for all.

    Burt / ABC4All
    http://trunity.net/111111/

    ReplyDelete