About Me

My photo
"J'ecris pour me decouvrir."- a French writer

Thursday, September 6, 2012

You're Beautiful!

Was just showing a friend of mine my latest post on Sans Retouches, then she struck me with the weirdest comment ever. She did not comment on the content or the topic itself, but at first she made a remark about the photos. For I know very well that she is a devout Muslim, I thought that the photos were too revealing or something of that sort. I had to check again the post, but still I could not find something that you might see as "off putting" in the photos. Finally, she spitted it out, saying; "The model is too beautiful. I feel ugly looking at her!"

For a moment, I felt guilty. In a way, I sensed that she was feeling uncomfortable, so I said right away; "Oh come on! Honey, she is a MODEL.... Don't you get it? She's paid to look that way. Do you believe that she looks like that in real life? Hell no! There is a lot of photo-shopping that goes into the whole process."

She nodded awkwardly just to get over that whole trivial situation. Many ideas started beating inside my head at that moment.

"Am I conveying the right messages through my posts on the blog?"

"Are people getting more inspired when flipping through my mag/blog or do they feel constantly discontent about their images?"

"Do people have enough self-esteem?" I guess this is the right question!

Supposedly, my friend is a religious girl. By "religious" I mean the Egyptian definition of the "Religiousness"; a veiled girl with decent attitude and manners, conservative mind, prays five times a day.....etc.

Seems like a good definition? Maybe, but I have always thought that a truly religious person is someone who does not have to "look" or "sound" religious, as anyone can do the part right. But, I guess that feeling content, serene and satisfied is just a surreal stage that only a few can reach. You could be Miss Universe, but still feel uncomfortable. On the contrary, you might feel that you are the most beautiful girl on Earth. Well, it's just problematic how people tend to see themselves, and how they STRIVE to make themselves feel distressed!

Well, I guess that my friend feels better now! That's all I can say for the time being :)

No comments:

Post a Comment