About Me

My photo
"J'ecris pour me decouvrir."- a French writer

Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Alexandria...When Passion Meets Beauty

I have always considered myself lucky to be an Alexandrian. Seriously, what a bliss! I can't imagine living anywhere but my beloved Alexandria.

What is truly enchanting about Alexandria is its charming mood, sentimentality and unique people. It's like nowhere else. It's nothing like Cairo. Of course, Cairo is a great place to live in, only if you are a big fan of non stop noises, crowded streets and rude people.

For me, Alexandria is heaven in its truest sense. By my Alexandria, I don't mean the fancy mega malls, nor the posh cafes and restaurants. However, I mean old authentic Alexandria. I mean forgotten places, like Raml Station with its wide sidewalks, ancient European-style buildings and great unknown cafes. Only there, I feel nostalgic to an age that I have only heard of. Only then, I feel nostalgic to people whom I only saw in movies and read about in books.

That is when I have made up my mind about discovering old Alexandria myself. I will walk in every street and alley. I will look for funky bohemian stores. I will enter restaurants, cafes and bars. I will listen to great Spanish and Italian music played in such places, have a deep breath and dream. I will talk to all kinds of people, listen to their experiences, and learn from them. I will ask them about their Alexandria, how they see it and how they saw it in the sweet past.

Every time I tell any of my friends about this, they get very excited about joining me. Then we do nothing about it. But this time, I'm determined. I have made up my mind. Alexandria is glowing like a real diamond that I'm afraid that I might lose.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE ALEXANDRIA ALOT TOO AND LOVED IT MORE AND MORE WHEN I READ THIS ARTICLE U'VE MADE IT SEEM LIKE A HEAVEN TO ME

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhh, thanks a million Heba,

    This is the very first comment ever I get on this blog. You made my day. I'm so glad that you liked the article. Stay tuned for more to come.

    Noha

    ReplyDelete