About Me

My photo
"J'ecris pour me decouvrir."- a French writer

Monday, January 30, 2012

My Hijab... My Choice

Almost 10 years ago, I decided to wear Hijab. I remember the first day I told my parents about my decision and their reaction was surprising at the time. They were totally against it when I felt no shame in it whatsoever. I knew exactly that they were just concerned that I was too young and would take it off at anytime I want. They thought that I saw that Hijab was the new hot thing, or even worse and I was just fascinated by those new Imams or Duah who were all over Egypt at the time preaching young people about Hijab, prayers....etc, things that now I believe are truly superficial and won't make a difference if your heart is not full of belief, love and purity.

I still remember how I was fully convinced with my decision back then. I still remember that I was the first among my friends who decided to wear it right after my 14th birthday. I still remember how I lost loads of friends right after it, when they thought I would be a new female "Sheikh".

Now, I believe that that decision back then was one of the strongest decision I have ever made. I realize now that I was strong enough to make a life altering decision at such young age when none of those around me gave me the support I longed for. I still remember the first day I put it on and wore my school uniform and stared at myself in the mirror and thought that I was way less attractive, but then I told myself "So what?"

Maybe, my hijab was not so proper according to many people, but in those 10 years, I have learnt a great deal of things. On the spiritual level, I am still working on myself. I know I am still weak, but I hoping to be better and working on this. However, throughout those 10 years, I have learnt what responsibility is. I have chosen Hijab and I am sticking to it. Sometimes, I have doubts about it like any doubts anyone can have about anything in life. But, I make sure that my doubts are valid before I take any decision I might regret.

Today, a dear friend of mine has shared with me her decision to take off her veil after wearing it for 7 years. I am not convinced with the reasons and believe that she might regret it later on. But for you my dear, you have my total support, I wish I had had before 10 years ago.

Best of luck, my dear friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment