About Me

My photo
"J'ecris pour me decouvrir."- a French writer

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Beauty Is in the Eyes of the Beholder

Today, I was in Cairo for just two hours, for work as usual. When I think about Cairo, I have very contradictory thoughts. Sometimes, I feel that it's an exciting place with many destinations to hang in. However, I tend to think right away of people's weird attitude there, pollution, dirty streets and most notably traffic jams.

Anyway, I said to myself, "What da heck?" I thought that it would be a great chance for me to enhance my mood, chill out a little bit and learn of course new skills that would prove to be of high significance for my job.

There I was in the shaky train, I sat there in a very uncomfortable seat for more than two hours, just to get to my "beloved" Cairo. Once you step out of your train, car, bus or even a plane, you can't help but notice the difference. Well, I gotta say, you notice the BIG difference between stiff Cairo and flirty Alexandria. Everything starting from the stifling atmosphere to people aggressiveness. What a pain in the neck?

The meeting was out of Cairo. You would better say that it's in the desert. A boring and long way I had to put up with. Thank God there was a car.

That's when I thanked God that I live in Alexandria and I work there too. At least when I go for a walk, I see people with nice smiley faces, somewhat good clean streets and breath taking views over the Mediterranean. In Alexandria, you do not need to worry about whether you will see the sea because of cloudy misty weather. Here, there is sunshine.

Yet, I am cool with all of Cairo's flaws. However, what I could never tolerate EVER is people's denial of their city's very clear defects.

I have met a Cairo citizen, and I was surprised that he doesn't think very highly of Alexandria. I am not an Alex fanatic, but I was like "Huh? Are you kidding me?"

People, there are certain things, people and places that you could not help but fall in love with. Alexandria is one of those things.

But I guess after all, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

No comments:

Post a Comment