About Me

My photo
"J'ecris pour me decouvrir."- a French writer

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Solitude

Sometimes solitude is good. Yea, it is, especially when you need to have a clear head, enjoy the atmosphere all around you, look back and analyze every little detail that you might ignore in the past. I am always a busy person with a hectic routine that I spend either making phone calls, chatting, reading, or WORKING.

Ramadan is just about to come to an end and it was pretty fruitful for me. It was not that spiritual fruitful, I must admit. However, it was full of life, and new thrilling experiences. Then, it occurred to me that I need to shut up and listen. "Shshshshs..," I want to hear myself. Amid the business and nuisance, you need to watch, observe and think. When you are dazzled by the crowds and the great joys you feel when you are with your friends and family, you need serenity more than ever.

And there came my chance, my family was heading out for an Iftar, each with his/her friends. They kept on inviting me to join them, however they didn't push it as usual and left me alone. It is a bit sad to have you Iftar on your own in an empty house. "The glass is half full ya Noha," that's what I kept on telling myself. "I got you your meal out of the fridge, just heat beforehand, Okay?" mom said and I was nodding with an evil smile as if I was saying, "I'm a grownup for God's sake, don't worry about me."

They all left after saying dozens of goodbyes as if they were traveling abroad. "Home Alone!" I thought to myself. "Finally, I'm ALONE," I can assure you that I was so ecstatic. I turned off my cell phone, unplugged the land line and switched off all the lights and distracting appliances. It was Nature and me. The Maghrib prayer was very close. The dining room was so dull and depressing. I decided to have my Iftar in the balcony. Crazy as it sounds, it was just like heaven.

A great view over a wide garden with blossoming trees, what else do I need? I got the food out of the oven, got a bottle of water, and that was it. I stretched my legs over a chair and waited. "Allaho Akbar," the Sheikh called for the prayer and I sipped some water. Luckily, the bottle still smelt of apple cider. I closed it right away afraid that it might lose its beautiful sweet odor.

On that day, I didn't eat much. I realized that I was surrounded by so much charm and beauty. "What was I thinking? How shall I be depressed or even out of the mood when life is full of great things?" that's what I thought.

And I guess I am right. Thank you my sweet solitude for opening my eyes and helping me get over so many troubles and think clearly.

1 comment: